Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My frickin' pelvis is going to separate

Ben and I got in another tiff on the phone again. He's really worried about the insurance company screwing us on the bill in Canada, even though it's approved already. I assumed from the start that we'd have to pay for the delivery upfront. We've been paying for the doctor's bills up front from the start and we have so many calls to this Denise lady at Regency that she must know our case by heart.

Anyway, Ben's been complaining left and right about how many hours he's been on the phone with these guys. He's only on the phone so much because he freaks out about every little thing. We already have it tape recorded that they will pay the bill. He called today on the way to work and brings up that maybe we should give birth in Bellingham again. I lost it. I'm scared to death about giving birth in Bellingham, plus if I switch now I'll have seen 4 doctors. I need to stay put and actually get to know the person who will be inches from my cooch during birth.
Giving birth in Bellingham would mean driving a half hour to the mainland on Canadian highways, two international borders and taking a highway for another hour to Bellingham. No frickin' way. I'm scared to death that I'll end up giving birth at customs or on the side of the highway. There aren't a whole lot of exits to take in parts of that highway, and I just want the safety of being surrounded by city, and having a couple local hospitals nearby like Ladner, or Richmond just in case we don't make it to Vancouver. Ben apparently didn't understand how freaked out I am about giving birth in Bellingham. He sees it as an hour trip instead of a 40 minute trip. He always underestimates how far it is to Bellingham. It's at least an hour in a half trip to the hospital. That's assuming that the Nexus lane is open and we can bypass the line to get into the country. Birth doesn't happen on a time clock. I can't just assume I'll be giving birth during Nexus hours.

Ben apologized, but I'm still worked up. I'm still a little scared of birth even though I did it once before. I have no one to watch Tristan, although I'm sure our neighbors would help out. I'll have to wait until Ben gets home from Vancouver after I call him if he's at work. What if we hit rush hour? ugh. I remember thinking Meriter was going to be a trip from the west side. I WISH I had that trip now.

When I told Caroline about my worries, she told me this crazy story about how her friend rode herself 5 miles to the hospital during labor on her bike. Her friend got to the hospital, and they told her that she wasn't in heavy labor, so she should go home and relax a bit. So, she drove her bike home, but ended up giving birth on the way. They didn't know she drove there on a bike. Obviously, I don't have the balls this lady does. Maybe I complain too much though. Maybe I'm just a big worry wart. I should repeat the mantra - Birth is natural. Birth is not a disease. Birth can be easy. AahHH!!!! MY frickin' pelvis is going to separate! I just want to be in a comfy bed when it does.


P.S. Note to all you vagina nazis, there are no midwives here. Midwives are at the hospital, and they will be helping me out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

Ahhhh! Jen I feel your pain! I remember being so frustrated and Jason being all "It'll be fine" or whatever...it's scary and they just DON'T GET IT, how horrible it is to be in labor in the car...

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

My dad says that even an hours drive with a woman in labor will seem like five. He said Ben shouldn't WANT to spend more time with me in labor screaming at him about knocking me up and making me ride to Bellingham. :P

Holy crap. I almost spelled labor, 'labour'. Now I have that "Turning Japanese" song stuck in my head except with the words "Turning Canadian".

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home