Friday, March 18, 2005

Crying Over Bad Chinese Food

Tristan and I were sick all day. Tristan had stomach problems and a runny nose, and I had a huge headache, stuffy nose, cough and general fatigue. It sucks being sick when you're pregnant because you have to just tough it out. They don't sell the anti-histamine that I can safely take when preggers. I've been a big ball of emotion because of it, and because Tristan was within five inches of me all day. I got NO space, and no time to unwind a bit. I did manage to get him to take a nap with me, but he spent the first hour trying to pick my nose and wiggling around since he wasn't as tired as I was.

I asked Ben to get me some Chinese food because I've been craving Cashew Chicken. I haven't had Chinese food in more than a year because Ben doesn't like exotic foods, so I was very happy to hear that I would be getting some. The restaurant didn't have Cashew Chicken, so I ordered Lemon Chicken. They also didn't have Chicken Fried Rice listed on their take-out menu which is about the only thing Ben likes, but he went with the chow mein. It took awhile to get the food, and then when Ben finally came home with it, they forgot my appetizer, and the Lemon chicken was just chicken. I almost started to cry. It was ridiculous. I was going to cry over bad Chinese food. Surely, it was the emotions of being pregnant and sick.

We live next to a huge Chinese community, and surely this is real Chinese food and not the Americanized version I'm used to in the states. Maybe Lemon chicken is suppose to be just regular chicken with lemons on top. The hell if I know. I know if they ate the Lemon Chicken dish with rice and yummy sauce that I'm used to they'd all weigh 900 pounds. I just REALLY wanted the Chinese food I was used to. I wanted Cashew chicken, or at the very least Lemon Chicken.

I didn't eat any of it. It was like chicken nuggets with sliced lemon. Bland-o-rama. Ben's chow mein looked too much like the worms, and with all the worm and bug hunting Tristan has me do, I couldn't bring myself to eat it. All I could picture was Tristan's fist full of twisting, wiggling worms. It was kind of like that moment in Lost Boys when the rice looks like maggots. Tell me Michael, how could a billion Chinese people be wrong?

I had to get out of there, and headed to the grocery store for the other items I was craving, caramel and Fruity Pebbles. All day, I had been thinking of Fruity Pebbles. I tried real fruit figuring that cravings are your body's way of telling you what nutrients you are missing. Well, that didn't work. I think that theory is bunk anyway, unless there is some crazy nutrient that's in Fruity Pebbles that I'm not aware of. My body sure doesn't need the sugar that is in Fruity Pebbles and caramel. I did pick up some other odd items in my hunger. I picked up Sparkling cider, root beer, and strawberry quik. Weird. The root beer wasn't exactly what I wanted either, and I almost started to cry again, because I wanted Sprecher root beer. Man, my hormones must be out of whack.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

I can't tell you how many times I cried because of food related issues. It's embarrassing but it happens, because it's all about FOOOOOOOOOD and food controls your emotions. THere is no hunger like the pregnancy hunger!!!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home