Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Lucy and Nathaniel

I need to start thinking of what we are going to name this child. Ben and I were throwing names out months ago on a drive to Bellingham, but that was without any reference books. For some reason the name Lucy was brought up for a girls name. I liked it at the time, but I'm not so sure now. I don't know how many LUCY???!!! responses I've had and references to the Peanuts Gang. I was thinking that this kid wouldn't know anything about the Peanuts since I barely know anything about Elmer the Elephant, Howdy Doody, and other shows my parents grew up on. Nathaniel was brought up for a boy, but Ben doesn't like the name Nathan and is afraid kids would call Nathaniel, Nathan. I think we got the name Nathaniel from Six Feet Under.

The name Lucy has been coming up in a lot of bad ways lately. In this cop drama, Lucy was the 18 year old knocked up girl on crack. In this other show Lucy was the mom who 'abandonned her child'. I don't want to give my child a name of the stereotypical knocked up crack whore on tv. How horrible would that be. Isn't Lucy the vampire in a couple of vampire flicks too? Well, that's not as bad as a crack whore, but still. Plus, the name Lucy is a nickname. I HATE the name Lucille. Reminds me of that country song my dad used to listen to. "You took a fine time to leave me, LUCILLE." It also is a bit grandma-y. Lucilynn sounds kind of cute, but a little country too in that Billy Bob, Jimmy John, Loretta Lynn way. :/ Lucienne is a bit too French, but I kind of like it. Lucianne just doesn't look right. Hmmm. Maybe we should scrap the name Lucy. It's just odd how it keeps sticking like this child wants to be called Lucy. My mom already started saying "Little Lucy" It sounds kind of cute with Tristan too in that British way and I'd like to use the nickname Lulu since I love the 20s. Naming kids is too much stress.

The names are kind of boring for us. I'm kind of sick of all the crazy ass names out there, but then again with the response people have to the name Lucy, maybe we are the craziest assholes out there. Maybe people will say "Lucy? That's just mean. Why would they name their kid Lucy?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home