Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I swore at a pie yesterday. Man, I must be stressed out. I decided at 9 pm that I'd make Ben a rhubarb pie. I wanted to make one earlier in the day, but I never have time. Anyway, I never make the crust. My mom and grandma always said crusts were hard to make, and always bought the frozen Pillsbury kind, so I buy frozen usually. I'm a bit crustophobic, I guess. They don't have Pillsbury at our market so I buy the Marie Callendar's kind which is good, but tricky. I have to thaw it, remove it from the tin and then re-roll it for the top crust. The crust was in the freezer since Thanksgiving, so it was being more difficult than usual and kept sticking to my rolling pin and to the cutting board no matter how much flour I laid down. It took forever for me to remember that you could use wax paper and roll it between two layers so it doesn't stick. d'oh. It was late. What can I say. Anyway, when I figured it out and got the bastard rolled out I yelled "Take that mother fucker!" I never whip out the mf word, and I used it just this once on a pie crust. Boy, I must have been tired.

3 Comments:

Blogger hadjare said...

Crust is NOT hard to make. That's a myth. Once you know the trick then you are fine. The trick

First take a fork or knife and cut the fat into the flour until it's finely mixed. The next part is the make or break of good crust -- and this is where people usually mess up. Take ONE cold tablespoon full of water and a time and sprinkle it over the flour mixture. Shake the bowl. Now add two-four more tablespoons of cold water -- one at a time, until most of the flour mixture looks kind of moist. Then, with clean hands, divide it into two balls (or one) depending on how many crusts you want...aww hell do you want the recipe? Cos really the trick is the shaking and tossing of the flour with one tablespoon at a time.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so... has Tristan pulled out the phrase "Take that motha' fucka'" yet?

^_^

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I save the motha' fucka' phrase for after bedtime. hehe.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home