Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Well, we made it through E3 alive. Tristan was a little pissed when Ben came home, but warmed up quickly. Before long they were best buddies again and going to the beach and park and getting Tim Horton Doughnuts. Tristan had a blast playing in the tide pools with Ben.

It was a long weekend because of Victoria day so we got started on some of our projects. The bathroom is now painted a lighter green. It isn't sage. It's more cool than sage. Cool as in more blue and less warm than sage. It's kind of a beachy color which works good for this house. I'm trying to play up the ocean view/beach appeal. I liked the old dark olive color, but this color works better for that space. You don't need the light on during the day to use the bathroom and the white toilet isn't so contrasted against the dark floor and dark walls. Before it just glowed in there like a beacon in the dark and it was kind of disturbing. I still find it incredibly weird that I'm moving away from dark colors. They are still my favorite, but man do bright colors save on electricity.

We also painted the deck a bit. It's starting to come together. It will be so nice to put our table back outside and start eating out there again for summer. The best time ever was playing cards on the deck with my family when they visited last time. I wish Ben liked to play cards more. I just roped him into playing Scrabble, so maybe I can get him to play Rummy with me or something. It's so fun playing cards out there and I'm really getting sick of spending every night in front of the tv or computer. If anyone has any board game suggestions let me know. Laura, I'm guessing you do since you and Tim play a lot of board games from what I remember. Ben still wants to get Cults Across America after talking to Tim.

In other news, Tristan hates my singing. I don't think I sing *that* bad. How is he suppose to learn his songs? Every kid knows ABC, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, ect. I put on a CD yesterday with the ABCs and other songs and he said, "NO! Robot Song! I don't like ABC!" All he wants to listen to is the They Might Be Giants cd that his old friend the Caidster gave him, which is super awesome for me, but man, he does need to learn those other songs. Nobody in pre-school is going to know what the Robot song is. heh.

On another random note, we went to a protest yesterday. They are closing down 3rd grade in Point Roberts Elementary and busing those kids over to Blaine daily. That's an hour in a half drive daily twice through two international borders. Insane for an eight year old. They are also cutting a teacher, so we'll only have one teacher for all three early education grades (K-2). These are the grades where kids need the most one-on-one teaching. They have to learn how to do the basics in reading, writing and arithmetic, and socialization all with one teacher. It's like frickin' Little House on the Prarie. So, we joined our neighbors in the protest at the school board. Good points were brought up like how it's a safety issue to only have two people on the premises to watch all those kids. If one gets sick then there is only one person in the whole school. What if someone had an emergency?

I was the instigator parent. All the parents were too polite for protestors. They just held up signs and balloons. I'm guessing they were Canadian. ;P hehe. Too nice. The kids had the right idea about chanting "Save Our School!" since the school board members pulled the blinds on us. I was the only parent that went by the kids to chant. What an instigator. So, Tristan had his first protest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what, ben doesn't know how to play sheepshead?! or hearts/spades - those are good card games, too.

to find fun board games, check thrift shops. [of course, that's my answer for most everything...] at the savers in madison, we found all kinds of great games: aggravation, pyche-paths, even a set of pass the pigs!

good cheap game is kill doctor lucky; good expensive game is some railroad game i don't remember the name of...

8:20 PM  
Blogger hadjare said...

Pft, I say to give hope before you even gather any on the whole board gaming with ben deal. It ain't gonna happen. I have only played board games with Tim...like 3 or 4 times in the entire time we have been hitched. I love cards too --- but he never wants to play.

If I lived next door, you can bet I would be over every morning to play a game of gin.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home